select a colour: Colour Selector Colour choice 2 Colour Choice 3
reset A A

Information for Children & Young People

The Children & Families Act 2014

The government has made some important changes to the way disabled children and young people, and those with special educational needs (SEN), get the support they need. The new law about this is called the Children and Families Act and it applies from 1st  September 2014. It means that professionals from different services will have to work more closely together to give children and young people with special educational needs or a disability the support they need. Children and young people will have more say over what support and services are offered in their local area, and more help will be available for young people as they prepare for adulthood.   

​Some of the biggest changes are:

There is more focus on your aspirations for the future and the support you will need to achieve your goals 

You will be more involved in making decisions about how you are supported

You will have more information, advice and support to understand your options as you move into adulthood 

You can ask for information, advice or support separately from your parents if you wish

If you have turned 16 and have left compulsory education (after Year 11) you are now allowed to make your own decisions 

        about the support you need 

Statements of special educational needs and Learning Difficulty Assessments will be replaced by Education, Health  

        and Care plans by 2018

Education Health and Care Plans can continue up to age 25 if you need extra time to complete your education

You may be able to get a personal budget to pay for some of the extra help you need 

You can be involved in the Local Offer of services -

Most children and young people with special educational needs or disabilities prefer to talk to their family about choices and decisions about extra help, but there are other people who might be able to help.  

School and colleges have somebody whose job it is to make sure students who need extra help get it. These people are usually called Special Educational Needs Coordinators (SENCO) in school but they might be called Inclusion Managers or Student Support in college. They can arrange for assessments to be done or make sure you get the help you need. They might ask other people to give extra help such as a Teaching Support Assistant or ask somebody from outside the school or college, such as an Educational Psychologist, to give them some ideas about what support might be best. 

There are also people whose job it is to know a lot about further education, training career choices. Sometimes these people work in the school or colleges or they might work from a Career Advice office such as Connexions. 

Wirral SEND Partnership can give you impartial Information Advice and Support either together with your family or separately if you prefer. Impartial means we will tell you how you can get information so that you can make your own decisions, but we will not tell you what we think you should do. ​

If you need a lot of extra help or need extra time to finish your education this help might be written down in an Education Health and Care plan. You should be fully involved in writing this plan and deciding what is important to you. 

Below we have included some links to websites and leaflets that you might find useful: 

For an Easy Read Guide to new SEND system ​please click here:




Personal Budgets Young People's version

For Information for children and young people about Education Health & Care Assessments and Plans please click here



Please find a Factsheet: The Mental Capacity Act 2005 and Supported Decision Making by clicking here


If you are 15 - 25 years old and interested in fitness classes, supported gym sessions and a range of other sports please see the Inclusive Doorstep Club Poster on our main Wirral SEND Partnership page on the right hand side under related files. For more information please contact Stacey Addison on 0151 637 6046 or

If you would like any further information, advice or support please contact us by email, or call 0151 522 7990

or ask someone to contact us on your behalf to arrange a meeting.